Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A.I.'s tarnished legacy

By John McMullen, NBA Editor

[The Sixth Man]
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The act has finally worn thin.

As far as I'm concerned, Allen Iverson is a Broadway play that should close after 886 performances.

After all, who would want a 33-year-old undersized guard that struggles on the defensive end, ignores his own teammates and loathes practice?

I didn't always think that way. In fact, I used to be an Iverson apologist, enamored with his enormous talent and gritty play.

But, I handed in those keys back in December of 2006 when the Philadelphia 76ers finally shipped Iverson out to the Rocky Mountains.

After spending a decade enabling his behavior, Iverson's blowup in Philly actually made me feel kind of foolish.

[Allen Iverson]
Allen Iverson's selfish attitude
has worn thin in Detroit.
The storm clouds gathered a few days before the deal when the New York Post's Peter Vecsey reported that Iverson went to then-Sixers general manager Billy King and demanded to be traded.

Despite the usual denials, smoke quickly tuned into fire and it became quite clear that Vecsey was on the money when Iverson was summarily dismissed from the team before actually being shipped west.

In fact, Iverson was such a detriment to the Sixers by that point that he was sent home from his beloved practice and told not to show up at the Wachovia Center any longer.

King tried a cover story at first -- intimating that Iverson would be out thanks to phantom "back spasms" but that story quickly evaporated and the Sixers fessed up to what can only be described as a "suspension," without using that terminology.

Iverson struck back with a meaningless release that was typical A.I. -- blame everyone but the guy you look at in the mirror.

"In my entire career, even the doctors haven't been able to tell me not to play," Iverson harangued. "I've played through injury and illness. I think everyone knows how much I love being out on the court, competing and winning. That's why it was so disheartening to be told that I couldn't play, knowing that I was ready. It hurt even more to be told not to come at all.

"I have continued to give 100 percent night in and night out. Apparently, it hasn't been enough to help our team win. As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone. I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er. I appreciate that in my 11 years in Philadelphia, the fans have always stood by me, supported me, and gone to bat for me."

Wow, what a guy!

It's a shame his own actions contradicted everything that spewed from his mouth.

For instance, does leaving practice after an argument with then-coach Maurice Cheeks, and skipping a team bowling function for season-ticket holders sound like a guy who 'continued to give 100 percent night in and night out?'

Does missing fan appreciation night to gamble at the Borgata in Atlantic City sound like a guy who 'appreciates the fans who have always stood by and supported him?'

And does any of that seem vaguely familiar?

After all, history just repeated itself in the Motor City.

The Pistons find themselves fighting for their playoff lives but president of basketball operations Joe Dumars, who made the disastrous trade for Iverson that sent Chauncey Billups to Denver earlier this season, had no problem pulling the plug on the disgruntled one, citing "back problems."

"After talking with Allen and our medical staff, we feel that resting Allen for the remainder of the season is the best course of action at this time," Dumars said in a statement on Friday. "While he has played in our last three games, he is still feeling some discomfort and getting him physically ready to compete at the level he is accustomed to playing this late in the season does not seem possible at this point."

Translation -- Dumars, like King a few years ago, didn't want Iverson around anymore.

A.I. had just returned to the court against the Sixers on March 29 after a 16-game absence with those pesky back issues. He scored eight points in a little over 21 minutes off the bench and helped Detroit to a big win, 101-97.

But, being a role player wasn't going to cut it for Iverson. Since returning to the lineup, the 13-year veteran has averaged only 7.7 points, 2.7 assists and 1.3 rebounds in about 20 minutes a game. He quickly expressed frustration with his limited playing time and Dumars saw the writing on the wall.

I've seen Iverson hit the floor too much over the last 13 years to totally dismiss his back issues but if that 20 minutes a night turned into 40 and 20- plus shots, I can't help feeling A.I. would find a way to stay on the floor.

But, Dumars is more concerned with the playoffs than stroking the ego of a player that hasn't accomplished much in Detroit.

Perhaps, it was apropos that the Pistons' first game since exiling Iverson was in Philadelphia, the city where he built his legacy and then destroyed it.

The curtain has finally come down on "The A.I. Show" and I for one am not going to remember the All-Star appearances or the MVP trophy.

The now legendary selfishness and his reputation as a coach killer has trumped all that.

If Iverson was a hunter, he would already have the pelts of Johnny Davis, Randy Ayers, Chris Ford, Jim O'Brien and Cheeks hanging in his trophy room. Some even argue Larry Brown lost his mojo thanks to his daily struggles babysitting the world's oldest infant.

Don't worry A.I., your legacy is secure.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more. It's a shame A.I.'s biggest opponent is within himself.

Looking back, I never really could understand the trade for him by Joe Dumars. I saw this as a disaster coming from day one.etitss

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more. It's a shame A.I.'s biggest opponent is within himself.

Looking back, I never really could understand the trade for him by Joe Dumars. I saw this as a disaster coming from day one.

Anonymous said...

you're such a hater. maybe you should look at his contributions. maybe you should also look at what curry is doing to iverson's career. check his stats last year. i don't think a person deteriorates in a year that fast.

Anonymous said...

YOU GUY'S TOTALLY DISGUST ME IF THE PLAYERS THAT IVERSON PLAYS WITH COULD CATCH THE BALL AND ACTUALLY MAKE A SHOT MAYBE YOU WOULDN'T FOCUS SO MUCH ON HIM. HE ALMOST SINGLE HANDEDLY TOOK THE SIXERS TO THE FINALS,YET HE CAN'T GET NO CREDIT FOR THAT. GIVE HIM A BREAK PLEASE!